Personal Injury

Personal Injury (4)

Papers and presentation

Monday, 17 September 2012 07:14

Bryson, D. (1994) A guide to medicolegal photography for personal injury claims. Journal of Audiovisual Media in Medicine 17(1): 5-11.

Bryson, D. (1999) Operating theatre photography in personal injury cases. Journal of Audiovisual Media in Medicine 22 (2): 75-82.

Bryson, D. (2011) Operating theatre photography for orthopaedics and aesthetic surgery. Journal of Visual Communication in Medicine 34(2): 70-76.

Bryson, D. (2014) Conflict of interest and privilege in clinical and medicolegal photography: A short summary. Journal of Visual Communication in Medicine 37(1-2): 51-53.

Frequently asked questions

Monday, 17 September 2012 02:32
Rate this item
(1 Vote)


Q Why are photographs necessary?

A The old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is especially true in personal injuries. Your consultant reports on your injuries with written descriptions but it can be difficult for a solcicitor, insurance company or ther courts to visualize what you are injuries look like from these. Photographs show the extent of the injuries including any deformity, scarring or lack of joint movement that no number of words can convey. Taken together with the consultant's report they enhance the medical evidence for your case.

Q When will I need to be photographed?

A This depends on your injuries. The usual time is from three months, six months to several years after the injury. This is to give time for your injuries to have settled and for the long terms effects (prognosis) to be clear so any compensation can be accurately calculated.  There are several exceptions to this; injuries that do not stay around for every long e.g. a skin condition or burns, where it is important to record the actual injury as this can help demonstrate your pain and suffering. These should be photographed as soon as possible and preferably before or while you are receiving treatment. You may even have these photographed in the hospital as part of your care. Your injuries may already have been photographed in Accient and Emergency or in the operating theatre and these will also be useful to your solicitor.  You may also have photographs taken at regular intervals as you undergo further surgery or treatment or some early on and another set once your injuries have settled.

Q Why should I come to you for photographs?

A As with any service you require it is best to see a specialist, whether it is a consultant or personal injury lawyer, the same applies to personal inujury photography. It is necessary to have a background in Clinical Photography to produce the best quality photographs and an understading of the additonal requirements for personal injuries to record features that help demonstrate not only the injuries but the effect they have on you and your life.  David Bryson has had over 30 years experience as a personal injury photographer and is a qualified clinical photographer. He has the range of specialist cameras and lenses that may be required e.g. for theatre and dental photography, and has written papers for journals and presented aspects of personal injury photography to train other photographers in the necessary techniques. To contact me e-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Q How should I go about having my injuries photographed?

A If you are seeing a solicitor show them this webpage and ask for them to send you to us. They will then send a letter or e-mail instructing us and we will call you in for an appointment.

If you are seeking compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority,, and they have asked you to obtain photographs  (You shouldn't send photographs with your initial application to them) telephone or e-mail for an appointment and bring your CICA request form with you and any other informnation you have like a consultant's report as this helps us know what needs to be photographed.

If you are not seeing a solicitor yet you should contact the Law Society, or Association of Personal Injury Lawyers who will give you a list of solicitors in your area. Your local library and Citizens Advice Bureau will have a list of solicitors and if it is work related and you are a member of a Trade Union they can help with your claim.

Q I don't live in the East Midlands so where can I find a photographer locally?

A There are many specialist personal injury photographers around the country and they can be found using the Find a professional page on the Institue of Medical Illustrators website or the Committee for Accreditation of Medical Illustration Practitioners Register It is likely that your local hospital will have a Clinical Photography or Medical Illustration department and they will either have the expertise themselves or recommend someone to you. These sites are best as it gives you details for a qualified professional clinical photographer rather than a social photographer.

What is personal injury photography?

Saturday, 05 August 2017 02:24
Rate this item
(0 votes)

The term "Personal Injury Photography" covers a number of areas of specialisation under the same overall heading and often are called by them rather than personal injury photography. For example; medicolegal photography, scar photography and occasionally legal photography.

This type of photography fits in the area between Forensic Photography and Clincal Photography and covers similar areas of practice though with an emphasis on civil litigation rather than criminal as with Forensic practitioners.

Personal Injuries

Personal injuries are all too common whether from road traffic accidents, at work, due to negligence or attacks and the process of claiming compensation can cause additonal worry on top of the injury itself. The personal injury photographic service that we provide aims to ease one of the areas that can be embarrassing by providing a caring professional photographic service where confidentiality and your well-being are paramount.

Types of photography

Personal injury photography is not undertaken lightly and should only be done by qualified medical photographers who have then gone on to work and learn about the specialist requirements of personal injury photography.

Techniques used include; specialised lighting, photography of joint motion, operating theatre photography, qualified to take photographs in clinics, hospitals and prisons.

Who takes the photographs?

David Bryson: I have been involved in this specialist area of practice since 1983 when I set up in the Worcester & Bromsgrove area as a Medical and Medicolegal Photographer. Since then I have photographed a wide range of clients for solicitors. This includes photography in my own studio, hospital wards, clinics and operating theatres, clients' homes and visiting Winsome Green and Long Lartin prisons. I have published several journal papers and articles and presented at local, national and international meetings and conferences about the principles and practice of personal injury photography.  I have also developed and led study days on personal injury photography. 

Next Steps...

If you are looking to have photographs taken for a personal injury please pass on my details to your solicitor, more details via FAQs.

If you are a photographer and would like to know more about how to undertake Personal Injury Photography please look at my research papers and sign-up to my website and newsletter ready for more details about my Online Learning Materials.

Costs and charges

Monday, 17 September 2012 02:20
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

For any work we have an hourly rate of £100/hr with a minimum of 1 hour. For full days or longer periods please ask for a quote, we do not normally charge for traveling unless a long distance i.e. outside the East Midlands.

For Personal Injury Photography we produce 1 set of photographs on A4 sheets, £5/sheet. Each sheet will have between 1 and 2 photographs. We also provide an Adobe Acrobat pdf file for your use along with a licence and advice for printing further copies. We advise that colour photocopies may not be of high enough quality for court use.

Images for scientific photography or other projects are loaded for access directly from our online web gallery in client protected folders. Files available as RAW (Via dropbox) or jpg (, unless you have the capability of converting from RAW e.g. NEF files we would advise accessing full-size jpgs.

For any specific projects we would recommend that you request a quotation.


Personal Injury Photography

Registered with the Academy of Healthcare Science, approved by the professional standards authority
Registered with the Academy of Healthcare Science, approved by the professional standards authority


Do you want to understand how your camera works so you can take better photographs?

Why not look at the learn2photograph website for courses from the "Introduction to Photographic Theory" through to Professional Courses for  "Personal Injury Photography".

Available soon