Frequently asked questions

Monday, 17 September 2012 02:32


Q Why are photographs necessary?

A The old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is especially true in personal injuries. Your consultant reports on your injuries with written descriptions but it can be difficult for a solcicitor, insurance company or ther courts to visualize what you are injuries look like from these. Photographs show the extent of the injuries including any deformity, scarring or lack of joint movement that no number of words can convey. Taken together with the consultant's report they enhance the medical evidence for your case.

Q When will I need to be photographed?

A This depends on your injuries. The usual time is from three months, six months to several years after the injury. This is to give time for your injuries to have settled and for the long terms effects (prognosis) to be clear so any compensation can be accurately calculated.  There are several exceptions to this; injuries that do not stay around for every long e.g. a skin condition or burns, where it is important to record the actual injury as this can help demonstrate your pain and suffering. These should be photographed as soon as possible and preferably before or while you are receiving treatment. You may even have these photographed in the hospital as part of your care. Your injuries may already have been photographed in Accient and Emergency or in the operating theatre and these will also be useful to your solicitor.  You may also have photographs taken at regular intervals as you undergo further surgery or treatment or some early on and another set once your injuries have settled.

Q Why should I come to you for photographs?

A As with any service you require it is best to see a specialist, whether it is a consultant or personal injury lawyer, the same applies to personal inujury photography. It is necessary to have a background in Clinical Photography to produce the best quality photographs and an understading of the additonal requirements for personal injuries to record features that help demonstrate not only the injuries but the effect they have on you and your life.  David Bryson has had over 30 years experience as a personal injury photographer and is a qualified clinical photographer. He has the range of specialist cameras and lenses that may be required e.g. for theatre and dental photography, and has written papers for journals and presented aspects of personal injury photography to train other photographers in the necessary techniques. To contact me e-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Q How should I go about having my injuries photographed?

A If you are seeing a solicitor show them this webpage and ask for them to send you to us. They will then send a letter or e-mail instructing us and we will call you in for an appointment.

If you are seeking compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority,, and they have asked you to obtain photographs  (You shouldn't send photographs with your initial application to them) telephone or e-mail for an appointment and bring your CICA request form with you and any other informnation you have like a consultant's report as this helps us know what needs to be photographed.

If you are not seeing a solicitor yet you should contact the Law Society, or Association of Personal Injury Lawyers who will give you a list of solicitors in your area. Your local library and Citizens Advice Bureau will have a list of solicitors and if it is work related and you are a member of a Trade Union they can help with your claim.

Q I don't live in the East Midlands so where can I find a photographer locally?

A There are many specialist personal injury photographers around the country and they can be found using the Find a professional page on the Institue of Medical Illustrators website or the Committee for Accreditation of Medical Illustration Practitioners Register It is likely that your local hospital will have a Clinical Photography or Medical Illustration department and they will either have the expertise themselves or recommend someone to you. These sites are best as it gives you details for a qualified professional clinical photographer rather than a social photographer.

Read 2798 times Last modified on Friday, 04 August 2017 18:30
David Bryson

This is my website that covers almost everything I am interested in from photography through to developing learning materials, from lichens through to the history of acromegaly and gigantism. This site also leads off to more specialist aspects that I cover in the form of websites. For example my website about my Great aunt's jewellery design, my site about learning photography and my platform development http://learningforprofessional

1 comment

  • Comment Link Waheed Monday, 17 September 2012 03:43 posted by Waheed

    Great effort! You guyz are really giving a lot to the community of developers!

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Personal Injury Photography

Registered with the Academy of Healthcare Science, approved by the professional standards authority
Registered with the Academy of Healthcare Science, approved by the professional standards authority


Do you want to understand how your camera works so you can take better photographs?

Why not look at the learn2photograph website for courses from the "Introduction to Photographic Theory" through to Professional Courses for  "Personal Injury Photography".

Available soon